It’s week 7 gasp! Am I where I would like? No, but that is okay. Read on to see why and what the progress that has been made.
Welcome back to another week of the One Room Challenge! Thanks as always for visiting. If you need to catch up on previous weeks, you can click the links below:
If you read last week, you know that our tree trimmers flagged the patio layout as a potential threat to our very large pine and cedar trees. They suggested consulting with their arborist. Luckily the arborist had availability in the same week. When he came, he reassured us that our plan was mostly good to go. The one thing he suggested we change? To move the patio away from a large root that we had initially intended to cut into.
Hurray! We are so relieved! No material changes, no undoing the retaining wall, no major changes.
Our contractor came and we shared the news. Originally we had planned to create the patio ourselves, but with the slope of the yard and our basement project, we decided it is best to have the contractor do it. He spent a few hours measuring and re-measuring, and digging out the space for the new patio footprint. Moving the patio closer to our house means adding another level of steps to bridge the gap in the grade. The large gray rectangle pictured is weed barrier fabric just waiting for gravel, pavers, and pea gravel!
After the patio layout was finally determined, major rainstorms came in! More delays.
North side of the yard is now level!
Not doing the patio ourselves is nice, but also one of the pros of doing projects yourself is the flexibility to work on it any spare moment. On the days workers can’t be here, I just want to jump in. To keep myself busy I’ve been tackling staining and painting and landscape shopping. This week is the fire pit paint.
I bought this fire pit over the winter to host people at Christmas and follow the social distance guidelines at the time. I chose it because it is a good height for little ones and there wasn’t much else at the store. My husband really dislikes the faux oil rubbed bronze look. Until we build a fire pit, we are keeping this one. On to the paint tips.
Apply an oil like cooing oil to stubborn sticker residue.
In my haste I started to scrape right away, which just made more work.
I thought this project was going to be really quick. On a morning when the rain broke I went out to start painting. I thought it would wrap up and then I could take my little guy to a park or something (school is out for summer, so I’m balancing projects and mom time). There were not one but two of these sticky labels!
Use a razor blade to scrape the sticker residue.
Learn from my mistake and let the oil sit for about ten minutes.
Clean residue with dish soap.
The dish soap removes both the oil and any remaining sticker residue. I vaguely remember something about hydrophilic properties from chemistry class ha ha!
Once the sticky residue is gone, do a general wipe down.
Tape off all surfaces you don’t want painted.
Adding a piece of cardboard over the whole panel would have been smarter. To prevent overspray, I held up cardboard while I sprayed.
Sand any drips.
My first coat of spray paint had drips that I sanded before applying the second coat.
Nothing too exciting, but it does look less busy without the faux detail. If you have an older fire pit that is rusted, you can use a wire brush on rust before painting. Make sure to read fire pit and paint instructions to determine if a heat safe paint is needed. Definitely worth trying before giving up on still functional fire pit. Let me know in comments if you have ever updated a fire pit.
Before you go, make sure to check out the One Room Challenge site where you can catch up on other Guest Participants’ and the Featured Designers’ projects. It is so fun to see how everyone is doing and all the creative ideas!